Fraternal organizations are largely self-governing, but for collegiate members to self-govern effectively requires certain skills, systems, and the maintenance of a chapter culture that is conducive to productive outcomes.
National staff and volunteers are best able to apply their talents and position of influence when they know how to respond to complex situations and have tools for educational consequences that can influence behavior change.
- Do some sanctions fail to influence behavior change in sustainable ways?
- Are policy violations sometimes symptoms of a much larger problem?
- How do you handle situations when a member may have violated a policy but is also reporting that they were harmed?
There is nothing simple about effectively responding to complaints and reports of inappropriate behavior. It is completely natural for there to be opportunities for enhancement within the complex system of standards and accountability for a fraternal organization.
We have devoted our resources to developing behavior-influencing solutions and helping you update and enhance your systems so you can focus more on the positive work of developing young people.
- Reduce costs involved with responding to problematic behaviors and the ripple effects experienced by the chapter.
- Improve the experience for collegiate members serving on standards boards and volunteers devoting their time to your chapters.
- Increase your ability to positively affect members and chapters by having additional tools for educational responses.
- Increase your ability to identify serious needs of your members and warning signs of deeper issues that call for assistance.
- Feel a greater sense of confidence in your systems and processes, knowing they are updated and enhanced based on expert analysis and the application of social sciences to improve outcomes.
- Discussions with appropriate staff and/or volunteers to clarify your most common challenges, and discuss your most complex situations relating to your standards and accountability system
- Review and analysis of current systems and processes, as well as cases from the past five years
- Provide a Recommendations and Rationale Report based on our conversations and analysis of your current systems
Recommendations and options for updating and enhancing your systems may include:
- Peer-led Workshops and Discussions to reduce problematic incidents and elevate chapter culture:
- Examples for women’s organizations: Dealing with Differences, The Social Scenarios, The Support Strengths
- Customized proactive components based on your specific needs
Updated and Enhanced Processes for Response
- Additional tools that decrease the likelihood of error and increase our ability to provide developmental consequences
- Model Process for responding to common cases throughout your organization
- Strategies for dealing with complex situations, such as when an incident occurs that involves a member experiencing harm in addition to engaging in behavior that may violate policy
- Education and training for appropriate staff and volunteers on updated systems
- Education and training systems for collegiate members
Creative Next Steps and Behavior Influencing Developmental Solutions (BIDS)
- Next steps that increase alignment between the needs of your national organization, the local chapter, and the individual
- Educational and developmental consequences/sanctions for individuals and chapters
- Expert consultation on a trauma-informed response to specific situations as needed, and an organization-wide standard response that considers individual needs in complex scenarios
Our Standards & Accountability Consulting Team:
- Abbe Erle, M.Ed. – Award-winning standards and accountability professional in higher education with experience in transforming adversarial systems into developmental systems and creating behavior-influencing solutions
- Aaron Boe, M.S.Ed. – Developer of award-winning prevention programs and creator of multiple developmental programs over a twenty-year career
- Brian J. Mistler, Ph.D. – Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Campus Health Center Director, conflict resolution expert, and legalist with over a decade of experience of responding to behaviors across the spectrum
Our unique combination of experience allows us to provide expert analysis and customized solutions to help you reduce conflict, save time and financial resources, and increase your ability to respond in ways that meet the needs of individuals as well as your organization.
For more information on our Standards & Accountability consulting, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org